Topic: Becoming homeless. Help needed.
Forum Index : General : General Talk : Becoming homeless. Help needed.  
supremequeenstyl
es

Pwned Newbie
Profile | Journal
Posted: 19 Mar 2021 12:00 AM       Subject: Becoming homeless. Help needed.
I don't know if this is allowed but I'm asking anywhere I can think to. My family and I are being evicted and have nowhere to go. We have to be out by April 10th. Even with available rental properties or the potential of buying, applications and credit checks take time to go through and we do not have any time.

My landlord's niece put him in a nursing home, and she has power of attorney, so she chose to evict us and she's only given us until April 10th. She also left us a phone number that's disconnected. We can't get ahold of her to even negotiate for more time. What she's doing is also technically illegal and violates our lease agreement which is supposed to give us at least a year to get out if something were to happen to our landlord.

But again, the problem is TIME. We don't have enough time to fight it. We have to just follow her time limit, or they'll be here with the sheriff that morning chucking our things onto the lawn.

We've begun placing anything we can into storage so if we do become homeless, there's a place for it.

We have already had to give up all of our cats. If we don't find a place we'll have to let go of the dogs, too.

More information on our GoFundMe page. Please visit it and consider donating or sharing it to other social medias. We are desperate.

Thank you.

https://gofund.me/1c78bf4c
~ any way the wind blows ~
-onemoreday-

Wannabe Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 19 Mar 2021 03:58 AM         Subject: RE: Becoming homeless. Help needed.
Hey I'm really sorry you and your family are going through this, how terrible. I actually had a friend go through a similar situation a few years ago and she posted about it on the r/legaladvice forum on Reddit, and she was told to contact her local tenant's rights organization which ended up being super helpful. I only know the super duper basics of legal stuff, but I don't think the sheriff could go ahead with an eviction if your landlord's niece is violating the lease and trying to do this illegally.
supremequeenstyl
es

Pwned Newbie
Profile | Journal
Posted: 19 Mar 2021 12:53 PM         Subject: RE: Becoming homeless. Help needed.
Yeah, this is all pretty illegal, and if we had more time, we'd definitely take legal action, but because our time is so limited it's smarter to use all of our time and resources to get out rather than spending it on legal fees and court dates.

Two of us work full time and the other three have to be packing and taking trips to the storage facility from the time we get up until it's about time to go to sleep every night. We've lived here for twenty years and there's a lot of accumulated stuff. We've had to throw out a good chunk of it just for the sake of saving time and space, including most of my childhood toys and a lot of my mom's books. If we'd had more time and were able to do things the way we'd always wanted to if we were able to move out, we'd donate most of it, but we just don't have the time.

We've wanted out of this place for about 5 years. We've been trying to save what we can here and there but my dad always balks at the idea of trying to build credit, otherwise we may have gotten a bank loan and left a long time ago. We wanted to get out. It's old, it's literally falling in.

An official would probably condemn the place. The stove hasn't worked in years so we cook with electric skillets, large toaster ovens, hot plates, microwaves, and crock pots. The roof literally fell on my mom a few years back and the landlord refused to pay to have it fixed, he gave us insufficient materials to fix it ourselves, and it still leaks like a sieve. The bathroom floor is falling in and barely boarded together.

There is no heat or AC (furnace stopped working ages ago and he just told us to use space heaters. So we curtain off the rooms we don't use as much and heat the living room with a space heater in the winter, but the wiring is so shoddy we can't run too much electricity at the same time without blowing fuses, so we can only heat the bedrooms at night, and only a few of them, so my parents sleep in the living room in the winter. The kitchen and bathroom are always freezing until spring).

Like I already said, the wiring is a mess, we have partial outages all the time because of blown fuses and we replaced the fuses like 7 times this winter alone. The foundation is also falling in and half the basement isn't finished, it's just exposed dirt.

The landlord also had us paying the property taxes because he isn't exactly financially savvy and his only source of income was rent and SSI. So we were pouring way more money into this decrepit hundred or so year old farmhouse than it was ever worth, even when we first moved into it. Not to mention I don't think our landlord has been right mentally for a while. He'd constantly threaten selling it out from under us and change his mind a few days later. There was the constant emotional and mental abuse and trauma.

But it was a place to stay. It was better than being homeless.

And we wanted to leave, but we wanted it to be on our terms, to find a place first, to have enough time to move the way we wanted, to donate old things instead of throwing them away, to not have to worry and be scared.

We're pretty sure she's selling to our neighbors. They've wanted the land to expand their pastures for the cattle ever since they moved in. (Our house is landlocked by their land, which also used to belong to our landlord before he stopped farming cattle about 10 years ago. When they moved in, they thought our rental property was part of their purchase and were pretty angry and made our lives hell for a few years over it.)

They also won't even meet our gaze when they walk past. The other day my dad and brother were at work and my sister had taken a trip into the storage facility, so both cars were gone, and one of our neighbors just came across the driveway with a measuring tape, until he saw my Mom come to the door and then he turned around and started walking back to his place like he wasn't doing anything, but he was clearly going to come start measuring the land and eyeballing it and making plans for when it's his.

We had a rough start with them but we did eventually develop a casual friendship with them and I can't help feeling betrayed. They know we're getting kicked out, we told them, but they aren't offering any help nor will they even speak to us like human beings right now. We had hoped if they were buying the place they would maybe offer to let us stay another couple of weeks but they're just like everybody else. They want what they want and they don't care what happens to us.

I'm just more scared every day right now and I wish I had a couple of more weeks.
peachesxoxo

Pixelated Dorkwad
Profile | Journal
Posted: 22 Mar 2021 08:56 PM         Subject: RE: Becoming homeless. Help needed.
I am so sorry you are going through this.
I will share the gofundme page with friends and family and ask as many people as I can to help.
“You just watch a season of Girls and do the opposite of what they do.”
roxy-ryan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 28 Mar 2021 11:06 PM         Subject: RE: Becoming homeless. Help needed.
Oh hun, this is awful news.
I can share this around to people I know if you like xoxo

Roxy Ryan
Obsessed with AMC's The Walking Dead, Disney, Animal Crossing and Tumblr.

Poppy is God.

supremequeenstyl
es

Pwned Newbie
Profile | Journal
Posted: 04 Apr 2021 03:26 AM         Subject: RE: Becoming homeless. Help needed.
Update, we do have a home, thank goodness. It's a big change and a bit of culture shock going from an isolated farmhouse to a home in the suburbs, but a good change and I'm so grateful to have a home. We were able to keep 2 dogs and one cat, which is honestly better than giving up all of them (and admittedly is already saving us some money, we had a lot of cats before, plus we bought extra food to put out for local ferals). Setting up an entirely new home after 20 years in the same house is proving to be a challenge but not half as big a challenge as being homeless completely would have been. I'm sore and too exhausted to do much of anything fun lately because I'm so worn out from moving, unpacking, and of course the aftermath of the traumatic experience of receiving the termination of lease and spending 2 weeks believing I may become homeless, looking for homes, packing and moving things frantically into storage, and swallowing my pride and asking for help from everybody I knew. I'm a private person, it takes a lot for me to open up about being in a bad situation, but ultimately I'm glad I did it. The GoFundMe has been immensely helpful with moving and storage costs and if nothing else restored my faith in humanity and helped me to realize people do care, at a time when I was starting to believe nobody did. Where actual organizations failed us, our friends and acquaintances came through and I will always be so grateful for that.
roxy-ryan

Bzoink Rockstar
Profile | Journal
Posted: 05 Apr 2021 11:21 PM         Subject: RE: Becoming homeless. Help needed.
I am so thankful you have a place, regardless of where it may be, thankfully it's a safe place and a roof over your and your families heads.
I am also glad you're able to keep some of your pets, it can be so hard parting with them in cases like this.
You have been through a lot in such a short space of time, please remember to take some time to breathe and focus on all the positives.
It can be so hard to open up and ask for help sometimes, but you did what was needed and people came through!
If you need anything do not hesitate to ask and I will try my hardest to help in any way I possibly can.
Please take care.

Roxy Ryan
Obsessed with AMC's The Walking Dead, Disney, Animal Crossing and Tumblr.

Poppy is God.

Forum Index : General : General Talk

Page: 1